Quote

Because in the school of the Spirit,
man learns wisdom through humility,
knowledge by forgetting,
how to speak by silence,
how to live by dying.
-Johannes Tauler

Monday, January 11, 2010

Big Ideas from the Bathroom

Unfortunately, the idea for this year long experience did not come from my personal inspiration but rather a magazine in the bathroom at work. I hate to admit that I actually picked up a magazine that was in a bathroom considering all the grief I've given my brothers for purchasing used "Useless Bathroom Facts" books from Amazon. Gross. I vow now never to put reading material in the bathroom. But I digress.

After I read the article I didn't think too much about it until some random day when I walked into my room and literally had to kick things out of the way to get to the other side of the room. 4 hours and 5 trash bags later, I realized how ridiculous my accumulation of "stuff" was!!! Really.. did I need the 5 extra coffee mugs that were sitting under my bed? (Although I did find a mini grill that came in useful when Nicole took hers on the move out - Providence!)

Then, I started thinking about all the things I had bought the past year that really I didn't need... a new board game when I already had a few, books when the stack of unread ones already reaches to the top of my elevated bed, dumbbells when I could just fill a few milk cartons with something, a new printer when my current one just worked fine, a used keyboard because maybe I would start practicing the piano again (which I haven't after a whole year)... I could go on and on.. It's not like I was buying things to be happy or because I have a lot of extra money, but because I would see them, "want" them and think I needed them for one reason or another.

And yes, the random hat and gloves from Walmart does come into the story. I think it was after that I finally realized I could survive without all these little purchases. Clearly God was trying to tell me something because I have since lost the gloves and been told I look like a Grandma in the hat!

My only hope for this project is that it forces us to stop being so tied to material things. To be in this world but not to be of it. I don't even know who will end up reading this blog and honestly I hope it's more of an encouragement for Missy and I than anything. A way to keep us honest if you will. :) Everyone else should be out enjoying life and not tied to this material thing we call a computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment